My Children. My Opinions. My Tales.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

C-section Mom Rant

Giving birth to a child is a wonderful and very meaningful experience, until the scientists start chiming in with their "studies."

I remember my thoughts on what to expect when I give birth, it would be like what you see in the movies. Some breathing (like they taught us in class) and 3 pushes and voila cute and cuddly baby. Yeah right, more like...Screaming for more drugs, while clawing your husbands eyes out, exorcism-like voice saying "get out of my belly!"- add head-spinning, and after 12 hours of hard pushes, they say you need a c-section, emergency c-section begins - you go into shock and then they bring you your cute and cuddly baby. Well, at least the end result was the same.

It may not have gone exactly like that for me, but I did end up having a c-section after numerous complications. And I have to say, I felt pretty bad. I had worked up the anticipation of wanting to give birth naturally, and it was just taken away. And then, to add salt to the wound, some scientists come up with this theory that "C-section Affects Mom's Response to Baby."

Apparently, mothers who have c-sections are less responsive to their baby's cries than those who gave birth naturally...says 6 woman who participated in the study. Thank you Mr. Scientist. But I was always quick to respond to my baby...still am.

I understand that people are up in arms about c-sections and how they are abused by the medical system and are never needed, blah, blah, blah. But something we all need to understand is that some people actually do need them, and when someone gets up on their soap-box, they are only making those of us who actually didn't have a choice feel bad.

C-section mothers are good moms, they love their babies just as much as any mother. And most importantly, the end result is the same...we give birth to the most precious gift imaginable. That my friends is all that matters.

2 comments:

www.stepherz.com said...

I agree with you totally. I had 3 vag births, but I can sympathize. But the truth is that we're all aiming for the end result: that beautiful baby. And we're all on the same team: The Mommy Team. :-)

Jill said...

Carey, you know what book I think you might enjoy? It's called Perfect Madness: Motherhood in the Age of Anxiety.