My Children. My Opinions. My Tales.

Friday, September 19, 2008

And what is the signifcance of this day?

Today is talk like a pirate day...Aye-Aye matey! Yes, it really is, click here if you don't believe me. Anyway just about every day is dedicated to something...some silly, some not so silly...but that is a whole 'nother blog post.

To my point, with October just around the corner, I wanted to mention some really important issues that are being highlighted.

Obviously the first is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Moms, Grandmoms, daughters, we all tend to focus more on others than ourselves -- Breast Cancer is not picky, it affects the young and old, blonds and redheads, Asian and Caucasian, women and men...but being educated we are becoming survivors. And go ahead and "Feel your boobies".

Second, Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Women and children many times become silent victims of domestic violence. Some have no where to go, no where to hide...The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence provides them with a safe place and the tools they need to survive. Those of us who have cell phones, we usually trade them up every 2 years...why not donate them?

And Third, the most important to me, personally...Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month. 1 in 4 pregnancies end in miscarriage. Astonishingly high. Imagine how many people suffer in silence, because many do. On October 15th, all are invited to light a candle at 7pm to honor those lost angels. The point is to keep the candle burning for an hour, and if everyone lights a candle from all over the world...it will be a wave of light.

And I have to add the link to My Forever Child, I found this site for a friend who suffered a miscarriage and bought her a bracelet, which she has since returned the favor. I highly recommend the bracelets, and for Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month they have some really nice and inexpensive pins (great for the dads too).

Every month has a great cause, find one and volunteer...imagine all those you are helping along the way, because who knows when you might need it too.

No comments: