My Children. My Opinions. My Tales.

Friday, February 29, 2008

How to find quality care for your child -- WSD

In the past couple of days I have had a few inquires on how to find a quality day care or preschool...so I thought I would share my knowledge with all of you...

When we our little Jelly Bean entered our world, we knew we would need a double income to support our lifestyle and that meant we would need a day care. But because I was formerly employed with Pennsylvania's Department of Public Welfare and worked closely with Children and Youth Services, I can be a bit overly cautious when choosing a day care for my mini-me.

Obviously, no one will ever be able to take care of my child quite like me. As many of you may have figured out, I can be a little OCD at times...But I knew with a lot of research I would find something that would fit my criteria. In today's paper, someone stated "finding a day care is like buying a car." And truly it is. So, this weekends steals and deals is going to wrapped around finding a good day care or preschool for your child...

First, you want to locate the agency in your state who license the centers. The National Child Care Information Center is a good place to start. States may vary with their regulations but the important thing is to know what they are and how they enforce them.

Second, background checks. I can't emphasize background checks enough. At least with a background check you can be assured that the center isn't hiring criminals or even worse, sexual predators.

Third, look for accreditation's from organizations like the NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children).

Fourth, interview the provider. What are their policies on visiting, can you come and go whenever you please? Is the center clean? Do the children appear happy? How do the teachers interact with the children? But most importantly, what does your gut tell you?

Don't be afraid to ask to see proof of license or accreditation. Ask them if they have received any complaints or citations in the past, what they were and if they were properly corrected.

With your research and questions, you should be able to find a quality day care or preschool for your child.

Good Luck and Happy Weekend!



Subscribe to Parenting Tales

No comments: