My Children. My Opinions. My Tales.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

My little Monkey

My little monkey loves the story, "5 Little Monkeys." I think she knew it by heart by 15 months. She thinks it is funny to climb onto a bed, any bed and yell "Monkey jump on bed!" My husband and I always say, "Remember what happened to the poor little monkeys!" And we make her sit down or get down, like any reasonable parent would.

Now, my story isn't quite about a monkey jumping on a bed, however, it is about a little monkey. A couple of weekends ago, my daughter (aka the monkey) decided that if my husband and I didn't come in and get her when she was ready, she was going to start climbing out of her crib. Ahh, a parents (ok, maybe first-time parents) nightmare. Of course we have the savvy video monitor set-up to catch her in these dare-devil acts and we instantly tried to nip-it-in-the-bud. No such luck. After losing much sleep, we decided it was time for a "big-girl" bed. I went online and purchased the largest bed-rail from OneStep Ahead (I love that store!) and anxiously awaited its arrival.

We had the bed set-up, sheets and all. Finally, on Thursday the bed-rail arrived and we chose to wait until the weekend to set it up. Big mistake.

I put my little monkey down that night and no sooner did I walk out of her room, she climbed right out and I heard a loud crash and scream. I ran into her room, with my bionic woman powers, ripped-off the gate at the door and ran to my child lying on the floor next to her bed. I picked her up, held her, shushing her, and saying "it's ok, mommy's here." That is when she pulled away from me and vomited. I started screaming for my husband.

After consulting with the doctor's office and watching our little monkey for 72 hours - she is doing well...and as for the parents...we are still not sleeping. They never said the monkey would stay in the bed! But, she can now climb out safely.

No comments: